FAQ: ello for Chat and Conference? Here’s the drill!
Last month we showed you how Mona wrestled back control of her network using ello’s audio and video conference calls.
Now, let’s zero in on the nitty gritty of using ello and this fantastic feature. Here are the answers to your frequently asked questions.
1. How do I set-up ello so that I can host audio and video conference calls on my PC?
First verify that your computer meets the software requirements for Lync.
For PC users:
The minimum system requirements for ello conference and chat are: Windows 7 operating system, Windows Server 2008 R2 with latest service pack; and Microsoft Internet Explorer 7, 8, 9, or 10; Mozilla Firefox web browser.
For Mac users:
The minimum systems requirements for ello conference and chat are: Mac OS X 10.5.8 or later; Apple Safari 5 or above; and Office 2011 for Mac and Outlook 2011 for Mac.
Go to the ello website at www.ello.net, and click on the Download tab. There you will find two options – the 32bit and 64bit versions of the Lync client depending on your PC hardware. Download the appropriate version for your machine, if you’re unsure, download the 32bit version.
Once downloaded, click the Setup Programme option and Install the software with default settings.
If you’re not on a private computer, we recommend that you do NOT select the ‘Keep me signed in’ check box for security reasons.
Click the Windows Start button > All Programs > Microsoft Office 2013 > Lync 2013, and enter your ello password to sign in.
Make sure your Sign-In name and username are both filled with your ello account details (i.e. email@example.com).
2. How do I join an ello online meeting without being an ello subscriber?
Use the Lync Web App to join a Lync Meeting from your browser if you don’t subscribe to ello. The Lync Web App will launch automatically when you click the Join online meeting link in the meeting invitation you received via email. You can use your computer’s mic and speakers, or a headset to listen and interact during the meeting.
Type your name in the text box to sign in as a guest (for non ello subscribers) or click Sign in and enter your ello.net account details. Be sure to select the option to install the Lync Web App plug-in. Click Join the Meeting.
In the dialog box that displays a choice to run or save the plug-in file (may appear in lower part of your browser), click Run.
Depending on the meeting options set by the meeting organiser, you’ll either enter the meeting right away or wait in the meeting lobby until admitted.
3. How do I set up an archive of my messages and conversations?
By default, ello software saves all incoming and outgoing conversations in a History folder, so you can review previous conversations. If your conversations are not being saved in this ello archive, and you want to set up an archive for future conversations, do the following:
- Verify that you are using Microsoft Office Outlook 2007 or Microsoft Outlook 2010.
- In the main ello window, click Options > Personal > Save Instant Message Conversations in my Email Conversation History Folder > click OK.
4. How do I view my archived messages and conversations?
ello can save all incoming and outgoing instant messaging conversations in a Conversation History folder (requires Microsoft Outlook), so you can review previous conversations.
To view your conversation history, click Conversations > Show Menu > Point to File > View Conversation History. Outlook opens and displays the Conversation History folder. You can then sort conversations or search for a conversation by keyword or contact.
To find a previous conversation for a specific contact, in the Contacts list, right-click the contact, and then click Find Previous Conversations.
5. Where are the menus?
Many of the menus in ello appear when you click a small down▼ arrow (such as the one beside the Options button in the main window). You can also open the main menu by doing any of the following.
- To see the menu in the ello main window, press Alt, or click the Show Menu arrow, next to the Options button.
- To see the menu in a Conversation window, press Alt.
- To permanently display the menu bar in the main window, press Alt, and then click Show Menu Bar.
- To permanently display the menu bar in a Conversation window, press Alt, click View, and then click Show Menu Bar.
- You can also see menus for performing frequent tasks for contacts, groups, and other items by right-clicking on the items.
6. Are my devices set up correctly?
The ello setup should detect any compatible communication devices you are using, such as a headset, webcam, microphone and speakers. You can also add devices after you install ello.
To ensure that your devices are set up correctly, do the following:
- In the ello main home window, click Options > Audio Device.
- Under Audio Device, select your primary audio device.
- Under Customise Your Device, click the appropriate drop-down list(s) to configure your speaker, microphone, and ringer, as well as volume levels.
- Click the green arrows to test the levels of your speaker and ringer.
7. Why am I having audio problems?
If there’s a problem, a notification is displayed in the conversation window or the ello main home window. You can click the notification to get more detail or suggested solutions.
8. Why am I not getting any sound?
If you’re not getting sound through your speakerphone, check that:
- Your speakers are turned on and that you have not muted sound in your Windows operating system.
- The speaker volume is high enough to be audible.
- The device you’re using is selected in the Audio Device Settings in ello.
You can read more FAQs at http://www.ello.net/faqs.html. Enjoy saying ‘ello’ to your network and the world, subscribe to ello through your QNET Repeat eStore today.
More information about ello