If you like exploring UNESCO heritage sites, old cities, quaint towns, picturesque mountains, hot springs and beautiful beaches, Turkey is definitely a top travel destination for you!
Turkey is a transcontinental country bursting with history and culture. Here are some amazing facts about this beautiful country.
- The famous Trojan Wars took place in Western Turkey, around the site where the Trojan horse rests today.
- The first church built by man (St. Peter’s Church) is in Antioch (Antakya), Turkey.
- The oldest known human settlement is in Catalhoyuk, Turkey (7th Millenium B.C.)
- Ephesus and Halicarnasus (the place for the two of the Seven Wonders of the ancient world) are in Turkey.
- St. Nicholas, also known as Santa Claus, was born in Patara and became the bishop of Demre, on Turkey’s Mediterranean Coast.
- Noah’s Ark landed on Mount Ararat (Agri Dagi) in Eastern Turkey.
- The last meal on Noah’s Ark, a pudding of sweet and sour taste (asure), is still served throughout Turkey.
- Turks introduced coffee to Europe.
- Turks gave the Dutch their famous tulips.
- Istanbul is the only city in the world built on two continents.
- Istanbul was chosen by the European Union as the European Capital of Culture in 2010.
- Tradition in Turkey says that a stranger at one’s doorstep is considered “God’s guest” for at least three days.
- Turkey is noted for having one of the three most famous and distinctive traditional cuisines in the world.
- The First Ecumenical Council was held in Iznik, Turkey.
- Writing was first used by people in ancient Anatolia. The first clay tablets in the ruins of Assyrian Karum (Merchant Colony) date back to 1950 B.C.
Read the rest of the interesting facts here: http://www.allaboutturkey.com/diduknow.htm
Did you know QVI Club has new XchangeWorld Resorts in Turkey?
If you’re planning to visit this culturally rich country, you might want to check out these resorts as they offer the finest amenities and the most uniquely unforgettable accommodation experience!
Want to know more about these resorts? Simply contact QVI’s Customer Experience Ambassadors here.