How many fun facts can you list on Leroy Sané, Man City’s winger (not counting that one)? Has anyone seen Lauren Hemp’s legendary hat trick in 2018? It’s that time of the week here at QNET, where we talk about our athletes at Manchester City and give you some fun facts – some you’ll have already known, others you’ll get to know for the first time.
In this week’s edition of Know Your Players, we have Leroy Sané, Jess Park, and Lauren Hemp!
A talented winger and attacking midfielder for Manchester City, 24-year-old Leroy Sané has been tipped to become one of the best football players in the world. He may have just gotten out of a half-year hiatus after sustaining a serious injury in August last year, but time heals all and Sané’s football career isn’t slowing down anytime soon – with focus and patience, we can surely expect this footballer to give a proper comeback.
- Sané’s former youth coach Norbert Elgert has been quoted saying, “Leroy has taken a big leap forward – both as a person and as a footballer – after moving to Manchester City. If he goes on like this, he’s well on his way to becoming one of the world’s best players. These are the likes of Ronaldo and Messi. He’s already right behind them.”
- His father, Souleyman Sané, once played professionally for SG Wattenscheid 09.
- His mother, Regina Weber, was a German Olympic gymnast. She is the only German to have won a medal in women’s rhythmic gymnastics.
- His football career began at the age of five, at the youth team of SG Wattenscheid 09
- He was named in honour of Claude Leroy, French football manager and former coach to his father
Fearless, quick, and powerful on the field. One of the rising stars of Manchester City Women’s Team, at 19 years of age, Lauren Hemp’s football career is just beginning.
- She wanted to be a singer when she was a child.
- In September 2017, she won the England Young Player of the Year at the FA Women’s Football Awards.
- She joined Manchester City in 2018. (That’s before her 18th birthday!)
- Since her sister seriously injured her knees when they played at Norwich’s center of excellence together, Lauren’s been determined to reach the top and has been quoted saying, “My sister was a big inspiration for me, but she tore both her ACLs and then had to quit. [A football career] was something she wanted so I’m trying not only for me but also for her.”
- She scored a hat trick in the U-20 World Cup match against Mexico in 2018, securing England’s spot in the quarterfinals!
Jess Park may be one of the youngest in the team, but her skills speak for themselves every time she scores another goal for our City.
- Park started playing for City in 2017, at 16 years old.
- She scored against Sheffield United and Aston Villa in the Group Stage of the Continental Cup
- She scored five goals in eight games for England’s U-19.
- On 4 April, she signed her first professional contract! She renewed her contract with Man City till 2023.
More fun facts on our footballers next week in Know Your Players!
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE:
4 days ago