Know Your Players: Claudio Bravo, Kyle Walker, Pauline Bremer
Claudio Bravo, Ederson’s veteran predecessor and City’s previous star goalkeeper, kicks off this edition of Know Your Players – QNET’s weekly series of fun facts on our Cityzens. Want to find out what’s Kyle Walker’s favourite movie? Or when Pauline Bremer scored her first hat trick? Read on to find out.
Here’s a fun fact to start us off — two of our players in today’s list are born in April, and both are Aries. Can you guess which two?
With a professional career spanning 18 years and 4 clubs, Claudio Bravo has earned the respect of many as a veteran footballer. Striker was his position of choice when he was younger. However, after he was asked to play goalie, it became clear where his true talent lay. Claudio Bravo is a player whose leadership you’d definitely want in your team. When it comes to making plays from the goal post, he’s a commanding presence in the field, anticipating shots as quickly as he sets the offence.
- While playing for Chile in 2002-2006, he became known as ‘Condor Chico’, a nickname given in comparison to renowned Chilean goalkeeper Roberto ‘Condor’ Rojas. In December 2015, Rojas stated his pride in sharing the title with Bravo, “I place him as one of the two best goalkeepers in the world with Manuel Neuer.”
- Young City player Oleksandr Zinchenko has been quoted saying the Carabao Cup should be renamed the Claudio Bravo Cup, thanking the Chilean for his saves against Aston Villa earlier in March, a performance which helped secure our City their third consecutive League Cup trophy.
- He was named Best Goalkeeper in both the 2015 and 2016 Copa Americas.
- He’s the third most-capped footballer in Chilean history, with a grand total of 123 caps to date.
- He’s known as a ‘sweeper keeper’ for his effective anticipating blocks and accurate passes.
If you were to think of truly versatile players in football today, Kyle Walker would surely make the list. Hailing from Sheffield, the defender joined the Blues in 2017. He’s one to watch out for as he’s scored goals and been swapped to play as a goalkeeper as well, proving him to be a solid, all-round footballer.
- He is British, and of Jamaican descent.
- On 12 August 2019, Walker made his City debut against Brighton with a performance labelled across media outlets as one of the team’s best.
- In the Premier League so far, he’s made a total of 284 appearances, 27 assists and 591 tackles (with a 76% success rate!).
- He’s been named PFA Player of the Year in the 2011-12 season and made the 23-man squad for England in the 2018 World Cup.
- His favourite film is Gladiator
Playing at number 9 in ManCity Women’s Team is German footballer Pauline Bremer. Referred to by many as ‘a star in the making’ in her youth, the 24-year old came back from injury last year, and is now in her best form. A striker who’s tasted glory on the field on many occasions, and is out for more, she won’t be slowing down any time soon.
- This 2019-20 season, she’s netted a total of 22 goals for City
- She was one of the three players to have scored a hat trick in a crushing 10-0 victory against Ipswich earlier in January, securing Our City’s place in the Women’s FA Cup quarterfinals
- Last month on 10 April, CityTV compiled all of Bremer’s goals wishing her a happy birthday. You’ve got it – she’s one of the two Aries we mentioned, the other being Claudio Bravo!
Stay tuned for next week’s Know Your Players, where we give you fun facts on all of our Manchester City Football Club athletes!
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE:
6 hours ago