The Greek Salad, or horiatiki salata, is known and enjoyed around the world. Apart from being a common staple in any Greek meal, it is also wonderful on its own or together with any meal. Many cuisines have adopted the dish and it can be found in restaurants as an appetiser, side dish, or main course.
An authentic Greek salad consists of chopped tomatoes, cucumber, and red onion seasoned with oregano, salt, pepper, and then topped with olive oil. Extras such as feta cheese and olives may or may not be added.
Ingredients (makes 4 servings)
- 200 g block of feta cheese
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Olé Olive Leaf Extract
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 medium ripe tomato
- 200 g ripe cherry tomatoes
- 1 medium red onion
- 1 cucumber
- 1 green pepper
- A handful of fresh dill
- A handful of fresh mint leaves
- 1 cup Kalamata black olives
- Cut your medium tomato into wedges and halve the cherry tomatoes. Put all the tomatoes into a large salad bowl. Slice the red onion very finely so all the pieces are wafer thin, and add them to the tomatoes. Scratch a fork down the sides of the cucumber so it leaves deep grooves in the skin, then cut it into thick slices. Deseed your green pepper, slice it into rings, and add them to the salad along with the cucumber.
- Roughly chop the dill and most of the mint leaves, reserving the smaller ones for garnish. Add the chopped herbs to the bowl of salad then squeeze your black olives over the bowl so they season the vegetables before dropping them in.
- Combine extra virgin olive oil, red vinegar, dried oregano, and Olé Olive Leaf Extract in a small plastic container with a lid. Shake vigorously to mix everything together and pour over the salad. Season with salt and black pepper and let the salad marinate until ready to serve.
- To serve, place sliced feta cheese right on top of the salad. Garnish with oregano and mint leaves, drizzle with extra virgin olive oil, and take the dish straight to the table.
Hopefully the recipe above will help you achieve the bold, authentic flavours that the Greek salad is known for. The trick is to pay attention to the small details that make it so wonderful: things like finding juicy tomatoes, crisp cucumber, good Greek olive oil, beautiful olives, creamy feta and lovely herbs, and of course, adding Olé Olive Leaf Extract to your dressing to make the salad even more beneficial for your health.
———————————————————————— # # # ——————————————————————————-
Did you know?
The extract from olive leaves contains various trace elements that are vital to good health, including Vitamin C, iron, zinc, selenium, chromium, beta carotene, and a wide range of important amino acids. Olive leaf extract is also a rich source of antioxidants. Traditionally, olive leaf extract has been used as a remedy to treat the common cold, fever, cough, the flu and asthma.
Follow us on Instagram
View this post on Instagram
Physio Radiance Visage+ Is A Leap Into The Future Of Face Lifting! Wrinkles and sags on the neck are the most visible signs of ageing in men and women. You will see years disappearing from your face and neck. The Physio Radiance Visage+ along with the Physio Radiance Skin Care series are designed to slow down the ageing process and reduce wrinkles and fine lines! The only question we have is...When are you getting yours?
A post shared by QNET Official (@qnetofficial) on